On Saturday April 9th three of us seniors (Addie, Meaghan, and Becca) took a break from “studying” for finals to participate in the Conway Cup, a benefit soccer tournament for ALS. Here’s a quick recap of our performance: Thanks to our teammates for joining us.
Games 1 and 2:
We walked onto the Liberty Hall fields (“the ones by the law school?” – senior-who-will-remain-unnamed) accompanied by a blizzard. Yes, in April. The first whistle blew before the rest of the team arrived and the youngins’ (KP and Liv) were ready to go… but for the seniors, their hearts wanted to play that full 25 but their bodies were telling them NO. Fortunately, the rest of the group hustled in just in time. About 5 minutes in, Meaghan went down for a tackle (which she won) but at the cost of pulling a groin…you don’t need two of those, right? Shortly there after Becca played a forbidden square pass (NO SQUARE PASSES, DUNNY!!!).
- Results: Two draws.
- Energizer Bunny award: Becca Morris
- Referee: Biased for the other team
- Morale Level: “We are just as good as everybody else!”
After a quick break at DHall, we returned, stomachs full (too full), for game number 3. Meanwhile, Meaghan was taking an exam (wait it’s exam week?) and the boys vacated for a cook out. Despite players down, the generals came out flying and quickly went up by 3.
- Highlights: KP had a hat-trick, Dunny hit one top shelf, Olivia made a record number of tackles, and Addie enjoyed a sandwich in the goal.
- Energizer Bunny award: Still Becca Morris
- Results: 6 – 0
- Referee: Not biased
- Morale Level: “ON TOP OF THE WORLD”
- Disclaimer: Opponent was a highschool girl’s team…
Game 5: (skipping game 4…#notbitter)
Next up, VMI cadets. But don’t let the uniforms fool you, they were sub-par. Despite the fact that no one could feel any of their limbs, the generals brought all they had left to the game. They clenched the W, outscoring the VMIs 6 to 1. VMI were such sore losers they insisted that we go into a PK shootout. After 1000000 pks later (one notably scored by Addie – this is surprisingly not a joke) we finally were determined winners.
- Highlight reel:
- KP took down a 250 lb, 6’2 burly man and came out with the ball
- In the last minute, Meaghan had to hobble off due to an aggressive toenail injury (miraculously all is still in tact, although slightly)
- Addie invented a revolutionary save technique – trapping the ball with her face from feet away
- Dunny decided to spectate for this one (something about some extra studying on the sidelines?)
- And Becca Morris didn’t shed a drop of sweat and still had a smile on her face the whole time. Does that girl ever get tired??
Overall, even though we can barely walk right now, we are really happy we participated in this event. It reminded us of how much we love this sport and how much we miss playing every day. Special thanks to Professor Dickovick for putting the team together! You’re the true MVP.
-Addie, Meggo, and Dunny